Blaine Self Tying Shoe Lace Trick
David performed an excellent self tying shoe lace trick on TV.
Watch a similar version the trick being set up and performed.
David Blaine showed a very impressive trick on a television special. A shoe with an untied shoelace is given a quick shake by his foot and the shoelace miraculously appears to tie itself.
This is an example of a clever, well thought out street magic routine.
Its also a good example of a well performed trick that looks natural and was paced just right.
A video tutorial of how to perform a similar version of the trick is shown below.
To perform this cool street magic style prank you will need :
- Some thread
- A shoelace ( shoelace should be same color and style as the sneakers that you are wearing when showing this stunt)
- Wear a pair of sneakers ( the larger floppy laces that these have are best for this type of routine. )
How its done :
- Carefully cut some thread the same length as your leg ( from ankle to waist )
- Tie one end of the thread to the center of the shoelace.
- Push the free end of the thread up the inside of your trouser leg until it comes up to your waist.
- Fasten trousers and make sure that you are able to hold the free end of the thread that is at your waist level.
- Adjust the thread so that the lace at the other end of the thread are hanging out the bottom of your trouser leg.
- The actual lace for the sneaker should be tied as normal and then tucked gently under the tongue of the shoe.
- Now show the shoe and untied lace to your spectators and give your foot a shake while at the same time, pulling on the thread at waist level so that the untied lace disappears up your inside trouser leg.
- The tied lace under the shoe tongue should shake loose and replace the untied gimmick lace.
- Ta-ra !!! your shoelace appears to have tied itself.
So you can see that this very convincing street magic trick has a simple explanation. This trick again reinforces the importance of a magician adding entertainment value to his performance by using some entertaining chat. This helps to build up some some suspense and mystery to the trick.
David Blaine is not only a very good accomplished magician but is also able to add a real realm of mystery to his tricks. This ability can elevate even a simple trick into a very entertaining performance.
You can find lots of other cool street magic tricks to learn on the main Street Magic Tricks page on this web site.