Anti Gravity Water Magic Trick
You amaze your audience with a seemingly impossible feat where a bottle of water seems to defy gravity. This is cool close up magic.
Effect : The magician presents a full bottle of water, of which a little is poured out to show its all real.
The bottle is then turned upside down right in front of the spectator and amazingly, no water pours out ???
To really reinforce the magic effect, the magician then proceeds to insert some toothpicks into the neck of the bottle which are clearly seen to float up through the water inside.
The video below, shows the performance of this close up magic trick and follows with a tutorial on how to perform the trick.
- You will need a glass or plastic bottle, a few toothpicks or matchsticks and a piece of clear plastic or even cardboard to make a small circular seal. I find that the clear plastic that is used to reinforce the collar in newly unpackaged shirts to be very useful for this purpose.
- Carefully cut out a small circlular disc shape in the plastic. This should be the same size as the mouth of the bottle.
- Very carefully make a small hole in the center of the disc. Best to let adults do this. The hole should be just big enough to let a toothpick or matchstick pass through it.
- Fill the bottle almost full with water.
- Hold the plastic disc in the palm of one of your outstretched hands near your fingertips.
- Quickly flip your hand so that the disc is covering the top of the bottle of water.
- Hold the bottle firmly with your other hand, continuing to apply a little pressure with the hand holding the disc to keep it pressed onto the top of the bottle.
- Now carefully turn the bottle upside down ( best practised over a kitchen sink or outside in case of water pouring out ) still pressing the disc against the neck of the bottle.
- Carefully and slowly remove your hand that is pushing the disc on the bottle.
- The disc should remain stuck on the bottle due to the science of surface tension or other physics forces. It should be invisible to your spectators.
- You can now carefully push a toothpick or matchstick through the small hole in the center of the disc allowing it to float up inside the bottle. With a little practice this should become easier.
- When you wish to release the disc, just give the bottle a little shake. The water should come out leaving your audience baffled.
Can be performed almost anywhere there are some easily available items around.
Good ice breaker for a bar.
The little preparation that is needed to perform this anti gravity style magic is time well spent as this trick can look really baffling to your audience.
This cool trick goes to show that with a little practice to polish your performance and a few easily found items, that it is possible to demonstrate some really cool tricks to your audience and friends.